Thursday, July 8, 2010

Things I don't know



I'm listening to Joni Mitchell singing A Case Of You. How is she able to sing ahead or behind the beat so much and sound so good? When I try to do things like that I just sound like I can't hear the drums.


I wrote out some corridos, the two-beat tunes from Mexico with tuba and accordion. There are phrases with 9 bars, 11 bars etc. The tunes are in two, three, or four. The musicians sound like they were born playing those songs. Why are those odd phrases so hard to solo over?

These corridos -- yow! It's actually quite difficult to decide how to make a clear chart for a rhythm section -- How many bars to put on each line? One of the best things about software-based music copying is trying different layouts after the music is already in there. I'm sure doing that on these tunes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Louis...yah, the timing, the timing! I love listening to Piazolla too...but the Joni orchestrated stuff...I wept so hard when I heard that song and Both Sides Now. What a journey. and didn't she sound like an older black woman on those cuts? xoxo cath